All things considered, AirPort Extreme Firmware Updater is a reliable tool that can help you upgrade the firmware version of your Airport Extreme Base station quickly and effortlessly. Download Apple Airport Utility for Windows. Utility that allows users to configure an AirPort Wi-Fi Base Station to create a wireless network and manage a USB device (e.g., printer, external hard.
Released late Tuesday, iPhoto 7.0.2 [8.8MB] addresses issues associated with publishing to .Mac Web Gallery, rebuilding thumbnails, and editing books.
The update also addresses a number of other minor issues, Apple said.
AirPort Extreme Base Station with 802.11n Firmware 7.2.1
On Wednesday, Apple released AirPort Extreme Base Station 802.11n Firmware 7.2.1 [4.6MB], which is certified for the 802.11n draft 2.0 specification. It also includes bug fixes and security updates.
Specifically, the update patches a glitch that could leave the routers vulnerable to remote attackers who wish to adversely affect network performance.
'A design issue exists in the IPv6 protocol's handling of type 0 routing headers,' Apple said. 'Depending on network topology and capacity, the reception of specially crafted IPv6 packets may lead to a reduction in network bandwidth.
The issue, which does not affect the Gigabit Ethernet version of AirPort Extreme Base Station, was addressed by disabling the support for type 0 routing headers.
AppleInsider has affiliate partnerships and may earn commission on products purchased through affiliate links. These partnerships do not influence our editorial content.
My home network is wired through a Dell gigabit switch which is connected to myAirPort extreme. Needless to say, this has worked well for me as the onlywireless devices connected are mobile devices. I decided to set up another roomin the house but I didn’t want to go through the hassle of running wires throughthe walls again. It’s undoubtably the best thing to do but this isn’t meant tobe permanent. I figured the next best thing to do is extend the network bypurchasing another AirPort Extreme. The hardware in it is better than an AirPortExpress plus I get a few ports to hardwire a few devices. My rule of thumb isthe less WiFi, the better.
Airport Extreme Software Update
I configured the extended network with the defaults and I never spent much timeoptimizing the wifi because it’s primarily used for my iPhone and iPad.Streaming media online from Netflix through a device in the new setup workedfine at first. The issue became immediately apparent when a hardwired devicedecided to come online and start streaming as well. After doing some connectiontesting, it was obvious that any hardwired device sucked all the bandwidth awayfrom the WiFi leaving it with little to no room to breathe.
Airport Extreme Software
After a bit of research, I’ve found how to boost my WiFi signal significantly somy additional room can enjoy streaming as well. Here is what I did:
Mario and luigi superstar saga gba rom. Note: The below is all configured through your AirPort Utility app.
- Do not use WEP or WPA (TKIP) authentication. WEP was deprecated in 2004 bythe FBI due to it’s security flaws. WPA was superseded by WPA2 in 2006. If youmust, use WPA/WPA2 Personal but I feel it would be best to strictly useWPA2 Personal alone to ensure best transfer rates. You can do this bynavigating to the Wireless tab then choosing the appropiate option underWireless Security.
- In the same area screen, click the Wireless Options button. All mywireless devices support 5GHz radio frequencies so it’s best to remove 2.4GHzsupport. You will notice additional settings if you hold the option key andclicking the Radio Mode: drop down box. I selected 802.11n only 5GHz -802.11b/g/n.
- You can leave the 2.4GHz Channel: and the 5Ghz Channel: settingbeneath set to Automatic.
- Lastly you would like to go to the Internet tab and click on theInternet Options… button. Configure IPv6: should be set toAutomatically and IPv6 Mode: should be set to Native.
- Save all settings and click Update.
After applying the above settings WiFi speeds multiplied. The only drawback isif you are trying to support legacy devices that either do not support WPA2 or5GHz radio mode. Naturally, the 5GHz band has a shorter range but the 2.4GHzband is more prone to interference due to the fact that more devices use it.Another important thing to note is that the 5GHz band has 23 non-overlappingchannels as opposed to 3 in the 2.4GHz band.